March 18, 2012

… And I feel fine!

 

Okay, so I’ve been mostly sheltered from Who fandom, so I have no idea if this is a majority or a minority opinion: I love this episode. I think it is a perfect first adventure for Rose, and I think it gives me just enough information about the Doctor to keep me hooked. Good job, er… who wrote this? Davies? Good job, Davies.

Firstly, I like that the inherent strangeness of this entire situation isn’t allowed to pass unremarked. This entire episode is basically Rose acclimatizing and in that way, it’s kind of like Rose.

However, in Rose, we were recognizably on Earth. There was one alien, and it was—well, I don’t wanna say easy to get used to, but… it kinda was.

Doctor says, “alien,” and we’re like, “cool. Alien.”

But this… this was a procession of aliens. A veritable cavalcade. A cortège, if you will.

And yeah, it takes getting used to. Well, it takes getting used to for Rose. The Doctor’s done this before, he’s all “air from my lungs” and shit. Speaking of… is that—That’s the Doctor flirting! With a walking tree! The Doctor flirts?!

Anyway. Rose not only has to deal with the destruction of her home planet being treated as a gala event, but she also has to deal with the people surrounding her being things so far from her frame of reference that she’s alien. And so it’s no surprise that she feels alienated. Especially if the Doctor won’t just tell her who he is, as maybe a comfort? A point of reference?

She gets that from Raffalo instead, in one of my favorite scenes of the episode.

Rose is obviously relieved that such mundane things as bureaucrats, maintenance, and plumbers exist that she’s able to begin settling in.

However. Talking to Raffalo also makes her realize that besides him being an alien and his having a space-and-time traveling machine, she knows nothing about the Doctor. Like, at all. So—and I love her forever for this—she confronts him. And she doesn’t back down! Well, not until she realizes that pissing off the man(?) with the car keys is maybe not such a good idea.

I also like this episode from the Doctor’s point of view. I like that he’s unable to understand how even a kindness like allowing Rose to talk to her mother can emphasize the sheer otherness of the situation to Rose. I like that he doesn’t understand that even if it’s benevolent, altering someone’s mind kinda requires a permission slip. And this is something I love about Nine. He can make you feel like he’s “normal,” and then you’re reminded he’s an alien. Christopher Eccleston, why did you leave me?!

I also love his scenes with Jabe. Especially when she expresses sympathy for… god, WHAT? WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU, DOCTOR?! I WILL HOLD YOU!

(Source)

Oh! But! This is the episode where I did hear “Time Lord,” and understood it to mean that’s who the Doctor is. First of all, love the name. Second, who are the Time Lords and where are they from and why is the Doctor all sad to be reminded of who he is??

So anyway, after all the hoopla and all the excitement, we get two more of my favorite scenes:

His experience with Jabe softened the Doctor to the point where he tells Rose about the loss of his planet and his people. How it burned like the Earth. So… does the Doctor taking Rose to the End of the World mean that subconsciously he wants to connect? To establish a shared point of reference? To… relate to Rose?

…Oh, my god—the Doctor is lonely!

But despite that (and this why I will love him forever), he gives Rose a choice. He doesn’t ignore her feelings for his own convenience and ease. And Doctor? Exact moment I fell in love with you. Just FYI.

Let’s do a list. I’ve gone too long in this review without a list:

  • “You think you’re so impressive.” “I am so impressive!” LOL, he’s like a kid!
  • Every time I see the title of this episode, it reminds me of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Douglas Adams, I love you!
  • Love the Steward.
  • “He’s blue.” “Yeah.” “Okay.”
  • The names of the aliens are awesome names. I have trouble choosing a favorite, but I think I like “Face of Boe” best.
  • I know I avoided mentioning the actual plot in the review, but… the “last human” is a… uh… Help me out here, Rose:(Source)
  • And a jukebox! That plays Tainted Love! And Britney!
  • I liked Raffalo. :(
  • Can I just say? I love the Doctor’s and Rose’s dynamic together. The teasing, the fighting, everything.
  • Although… the Doctor angry?
  • Cassandra was born a boy! <3
  • Why the hell is there even an option to have the sun filter descend?!
  • “The Adherents of the Repeated Meme… J’accuse!” I… kinda love Cassandra?
  • She’s a bigot, though. :(

 

One last thing: even after all they were put through by Cassandra, Rose asks the Doctor to help her. I thought that said a lot about Rose’s character. I also thought it said a lot about the Doctor’s character that he didn’t help Cassandra.

I NEED TO LEARN YOU SOME MORE, DOCTOR WHO.

 

Next up: The Unquiet Dead.

4 comments:

  1. Sigh. Ninth Doctor. If I could run off with one of them, it'd be him, come to think of it.

    I forgot about the "bitchy trampoline" line. Haha.

    The only Doctor Who centric board I post on is the one on IMDb. I'm not sure what the thought is on this episode there, but there *is* a lot of RTD hate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RTD has his flaws, but then again, so does Moffat.

      Oh, why can't we all just get along?! :(

      Delete
  2. So, I'm definitely not the only one that was sad about Raffalo, good. I thought I was going soft or something. I mean, he had just one scene but somehow I grew attached. Good writing, getting me to care that much about someone who was on the screen for maybe two or three minutes.

    I like that Rose came to the full realization of what she did in this episode. It wasn't just, introduction episode, NOW SHE'S TOTALLY COOL WITH EVERYTHING. She actually had a normal reaction. She realized that she crazily went along with a stranger and left her mother and all her loved ones behind. Though, I still maintain she was right to ditch her wimpy boyfriend to go travelling with the Doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mourned Raffalo, too. It was like, "I barely knew you, WTF?!" and then sadness forever.

      And I love that consequences are never the same in this show. It reminds me of Buffy, and that's always a good thing. :)

      Delete