March 26, 2012

Raxacoricofallapatorius!

 

And yes, saying that made me feel better than learning how to say “supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” when I was ten.

…My pleasures are simple.

Now. You’ll be pleased to know that I enjoyed this episode more than the last, even though the Slitheen were still around being flatulently sinister. And sort of… cute?

(I will spend forever here, if you let me)

Well, “cute” in the way that baby dolls are cute; not really, and creepy besides.

Anyway, moving on. The reason I like this episode is sort of connected to the bits I liked about the previous episode. Where Aliens of London was about getting Rose and the Doctor to think about what they have done, World War Three forces them (the Doctor, especially) to think about what they will do.

Jackie (seriously, there can never be an end to the love I bear Jackie) confronts the Doctor with questions he can’t easily answer.

(Source)

Truth is, he can’t guarantee Rose’s safety, any more than he can guarantee that the world will be puppies and rainbows until the end of time. We know that; Jackie knows that; the Doctor knows that… But Rose doesn’t seem to know that. Even after what he told her after coming back from the End of the World.

He’s been pretty upfront, I’ll admit…He did say it was dangerous, and that it’s dangerous a lot of the time. But apparently, Rose needs a rider: that he can’t always protect her, or that sometimes, he won’t even be able to (I know, I know—Spoilers!).

Also, this episode gives me two things I will cherish forever: Broody Doctor (although, after Buffy and Angel, the bar for “broody” is set pretty high), and Rose not even hesitating at the thought of dying to save the world.

(Source)

She has faults, I’ll admit, but I love Rose and you can’t take that away from me. And you know? If I were to ship it (which I do, but shush), I think this would be the exact moment where the Doctor said “huh.”

In the end, I’m allowed to stay happy because Rose, the Doctor, and Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North all live! I don’t even know if a missile like that would mean pieces of them all over London in real life, and I don’t care because I wanted them all to live and they did!

You know, now that I think of it, there are three things I will cherish forever:

(Source)

Now that we have all of that out of the way, I think this must be said:

SHAME ON YOU, DOCTOR! SHAME!

You so manipulated Rose just then, what with your plasma storm in the Horsehead Nebula and making it sound kind of like a rollercoaster and actually, I’d kinda love to see what that’s like but that is NOT THE POINT. It seems you’re just as good at finding and using Rose’s weakness against her as you are the Slitheen.

You can’t see me, but I’m making my annoyed face at you right now.

And Rose, stupid girl, you fall for it!

I am watching both of you.

Hmph.

List time!

  • “I think you’ll find the Prime Minister is an alien in disguise… That’s never gonna work, is it?” “No.” “Fair enough.”
  • LOL @ Harriet Jones’ indignation about being called old and stale.
  • “Harriet Jones, I like you.” Me, too!
  • “Installed in 1991, 3 inches of steel lining every single wall. They'll never get in.”
    “But how do we get out?”
    [nods] “Ah.”
  • I love that the Doctor asks for the secretary’s name. The Tardis Index File tells me it was “Indra Ganesh.”
  • “Mickey the Idiot—I may choke before I finish this sentence, but… I need you.”
  • “You kiss this man?” Snarky Doctor is the best Doctor. Y/y?
  • “I could save this world but lose you.” Look, if I’m not meant to ship it, then stop giving me ammunition!
  • Aw, Jackie’s willing to accept the Doctor for Rose’s sake.
  • “Um… my mother’s cooking.” “Good! Put her on a slow heat and let it simmer.”
  • THE DOCTOR INVITES MICKEY! I know I don’t really like Mickey yet, but this is great! I also love that the Doctor covers for Mickey.
  • Jackie bargaining so that Rose will stay. :(
  • Jackie counting ten seconds. :( :(

 

Dalek next!

4 comments:

  1. Saying "Raxacoricofallapatorius" is fun.

    I love Mickey's story arc, even if his marrying Martha came out of left field. (What happened to the handsome doctor guy whose name I can't seem to remember?)

    "'I could save this world but lose you.' Look, if I’m not meant to ship it, then stop giving me ammunition!" I never took this to be a 'ship' moment. o_O I took it as a "I don't want to lose another person I care for," thing. [giveup]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was "Tom." Personally, I kinda wanted her to end up with that sweet kid from "42." *shrug*

      And yeah, that was me kidding around, with the ammunition.If I were slightly more crazed about ships than I already am, I'd believe it wholeheartedly, though. As it stands, I had no idea I was even allowed to ship the Doctor with anyone until Dalek.

      Delete
  2. I was so sad for Jackie when she started counting ten seconds but I don't get it. If she could be back in ten seconds, why didn't they travel back to the exact time or the day after she left instead of a year later so that it seemed like she'd been gone for a year? This is what I don't get about time travel. :/ I love that being gone that long made Rose have to deal with the consequences of leaving without telling anyone but at the same time, they could have easily returned so that no time had passed.

    Wait so every time she leaves there would be a timeline where Jackie is sad but then would that timeline be wiped out when she returns at the same time? Do both timelines run concurrently? I'm thinking too much about this now and my brain is hurting. :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's kind of a running joke where the Doctor isn't as good a driver as he makes us believe he is. And sometimes the TARDIS herself chooses where and when to go.

      In the last two-parter, he was AIMING for twelve hours later, and just... whiffed it. :-\

      And to answer your last question, that's... something we deal with later in the series. Take it as it comes for the time being.

      Delete