March 26, 2012

Oh, yay. Fart jokes.

 

Yeah, lemme go on record as not being thrilled about the antagonists of this episode.

Look, I can take camp and cheese. Some of my favorite shows feature helpings of both. We’re okay with that. But it turns out farting aliens are my limit.

And it’s not that I didn’t laugh once or twice, it’s just that… Dude. Farting aliens.

That said, there were things I liked.

Jackie.

(Source)

Jackie Tyler, I adore you. I am so fucking glad we came back to London because I wanted the consequences of Rose just swanning off with the Doctor to be addressed, especially from the point of view of the people left behind.

… Not that kind of “left behind.”

I also liked that rather than the whole time machine thing being exploited (as I thought it would be when the Doctor said “12 hours”), Rose had to deal with the consequences of being gone for an entire year.

I mean, we’ve been pretty cavalier about this whole “traveling” business, but come on… Rose has to realize that it’s quite possible that any one of these trips will go wrong. Like “stuck forever somewhere” wrong, and she hasn’t even bothered to say goodbye to her mother. And sure, she’s got the super-phone or whatever, but phone calls are just not gonna cut it. Especially if you’re dodging questions and lying about where (or when!) you are. Just… No, Rose. No. You sit down and you deal with this.

Oh, and you, Doctor!

(Source)

You can’t just go abducting teenage women without so much as a by-your-leave! This isn’t the sixties, you know!

Oh, and while I’m not too fond of Mickey yet, it’s oh, so very shitty that he was looked at with suspicion the entire time Rose was gone. It makes sense, since he’s (technically) the boyfriend, and he was the last to see Rose before her “disappearance.” But still. Ouch, you know?

And that’s not the only thing. I mean, the guy obviously loves Rose. To not only have to deal with a police investigation, but the fact that you saw your girlfriend leave with some other dude and stay gone for a year, well…

 

And on top of that, the Doctor is rude to him! I have my theories about why, but they’re not exactly confirmed yet, so I’ll hold off on that for now…

Hey, how about a list? Lists are cool.

  • “When you say ‘companion,’ is this a sexual relationship?”
  • “Nine hundred years of time and space, and I’ve never been slapped by anyone’s mother.” (Source)
  • “Every conversation with you just goes mental. And there's no one else I can talk to. I've seen all that stuff up there, the size of it, and I can't say a word. Aliens and spaceships and things... and I'm the only person on planet Earth that knows they exist.”
    [At that moment, a large spaceship flies overhead, crashing into Big Ben and landing in the Thames]
  • The Doctor’s so excited!
  • I love the impromptu gathering while the Doctor tries to watch TV.
  • Harriet Jones. I adore Harriet Jones. I love that she keeps introducing herself, I love that she’s persistent, and I love that she’s the one who first sees the aliens.
  • The Doctor gives Rose a TARDIS key!
  • “Defense plan delta”? Why is the Doctor talking military?
  • Aww, piggy. :(
  • “Don’t you dare make this place domestic!” Hmm.
  • “You think you know your own name? How stupid are you?” Tut, Doctor!
  • Oh. The Doctor’s worked for UNIT. That explains that “delta” business.
  • “Take me to your leader.” I LOVE YOU DOCTOR!
  • So 10 Downing Street is like the White House, right?
  • “Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I’m saving the world?”
  • Hey! No trying to kill the Doctor!

 

World War Three up next (possibly tomorrow)!

4 comments:

  1. I love Jackie, too! Poor Mickey. :(

    Yeeaaah, Slitheen. Not a fan! Not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did not like the farting aliens at all.

    But I did like the bits with Jackie and Mickey and Rose having to face up to just leaving without telling anyone. Still, the farting aliens is just stupid, however, I did laugh at the "Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I'm saving the world?" line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I never warmed up to the Slitheen. So glad that's over with.

      Delete