April 27, 2012

Also known as “the episode where I start liking and respecting Mickey Smith.”

 

This is also the one in which I hope that the Doctor, Jack, and Rose are together forever, and the one in which I squee because Doctor Who is exploring the implications of the death penalty!

I love you people. I really do.

First, though, let’s deal with Mickey.

You may have noticed that I occasionally feel the need to remind Rose about Mickey and how he might feel about things, and yes, I know she’s not real and can’t hear me… And neither can he thank me for taking his side as he doesn’t exist, either… And that in fact this entire show isn’t r—you know what? Shut the fuck up and listen.

I do this because for a really long time, the show’s been… well, it’s been treating Mickey like Rose has been treating Mickey. It’s one of the things I really don’t like about Rose, really, and it bugs me because I genuinely like her and know that she can be better than that. That she is better than that.

At this point, it’s oh, so painfully, awkwardly obvious that Mickey cares about Rose more than she cares about him, at least romantically, and sweet baby Jesus child was it satisfying to see him take her to task for treating him like she does. It was almost meta, because the show’s just as guilty as Rose is of “forgetting” Mickey, too.

One thing, though: Mickey’s entire speech was great until he tells her that he’d wait for her if that’s what he’s supposed to do. NO, MICKEY, YOU WERE DOING SO WELL!

Still, it does make Rose think about her EPIC ASSHOLERY, so I suppose it’ll have to do.

Now, what else?

Oh!

I know it made this episode a little slow, but can I say that I adored the entire “is it okay to take someone back to face the death penalty?” thing.

It’s no secret that I abhor the death penalty and think it has no place in an advanced society, so throughout this whole thing I just enjoyed watching the Doctor wrestle with this moral conundrum.

(Source)

And yes, I admit it’s a thorny problem, because bad people should get punished, and sometimes a relativist view is justified, but… well, let’s put it this way: as Blon points out, the Doctor himself is a killer. He’s not a gleeful killer like Blon and her brothers were, but the fact remains.

No one but the most cold-hearted, absolutist bastard would say that the Doctor deserves death for his “crime.” After all, the Doctor has a strong moral center, and he does happen to save the world (and universe!) on occasion, so it can be surmised that he’s “reformed.” But even if he wasn’t reformed, he still wouldn’t deserve death for one extremely simple reason: just because he (theoretically) hasn’t, doesn’t mean he (theoretically) won’t. It doesn’t even matter if he never does reform—just that he’s given the chance to. And giving someone that choice is what makes us better. Makes us human.

Blon’s right—killing her doesn’t make our heroes a bit better than her. Not a bit.

Fortunately, I think they know it.

Also fortunately, they ultimately don’t have to make that choice.

Smart girl, that TARDIS, giving Blon just what she needs—a fresh start. I mean, ew… but also bravo!

And bravo also to Rose for letting Mickey get on with his life. He deserves better.

Blimey (I say “blimey,” now… Blimeys are cool), that got serious. How about a list?

  • Oh, dear god, the farting alien is back.
  • Captain Jack Harkness: Aww, sweet, look at these two. How come I never get any of that?
    The Doctor: Buy me a drink first.
    Captain Jack Harkness: You're such hard work.
    The Doctor: But worth it.
  • Mickey: So what are you doing in Cardiff and who the hell is Jumpin' Jack Flash? I mean, I don't mind you hanging out with big ears up there—
    The Doctor: Oi!
    Mickey: Look in the mirror. But this guy, I don't know…He's kinda—
    Jack: Handsome?
    Mickey: More like cheesy.
    Jack: Early 21st century slang. Is “cheesy” good or bad?
    Mickey: It's bad.
    Jack: But “bad” means “good,” isn't that right?
    The Doctor: …Are you saying I'm not handsome?
  • Did I mention that I love Jack, the Doctor, and Rose together? ‘Cause I do.
  • (Source) …I also love Jack, in case that’s not obvious.
  • “I knew we should’ve turned left!” (Source)
  • (Source)   Jack Harkness: Doctor, you go face to face, that’ll designate exit 1. I’ll cover exit 2. Rose, exit 3. Mickey Smith, exit 4.
    The Doctor: Excuse me. Who’s in charge?
    Jack Harkness: Sorry. Awaiting orders, sir.
    The Doctor: Right, here’s the plan: Like he said. Nice plan!
  • Secretary: The Lord Mayor says thank you for popping by. She'd love to have a chat but she's up to her eyes in paperwork. Perhaps if you could make an appointment for next week.
    The Doctor: … She's climbing out the window, isn't she?
    Secretary: Yes, she is.
  • (Source)
  • “Oh. I sound like a Welshman. God help me, I’ve gone native.”
  • There goes that Bad Wolf shit again.
  • Hm, the Doctor is watching Rose and Mickey go off together…
  • LOL @the Doctor thwarting all of Blon’s attempts at killing him.
  • “You’re pleading for mercy out of a dead woman’s lips.” Which, yeah… good point.
  • Uh… you’ve got no right to be jealous, Rose.
  • “You let one of them go, but that’s nothing new. Every now and then a little victim’s spared because she smiled, ‘cause he’s got freckles… ‘Cause they begged. And that's how you live with yourself. That’s how you slaughter millions. Because once in awhile—on a whim, if the wind's in the right direction—you happen to be kind.” Uncomfortable now, Doctor. :(
  • Just gotta point out… This Doctor is a big change from End of the World Doctor. That Doctor didn’t even consider giving Cassandra a chance, whereas this one not only hears Blon out, he facilitates a way out for her. *sigh* I fucking love this show.

 

Right. Next week, it’s gonna be a two-parter! Stay tuned for Bad Wolf!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, another case of 'Russell T. Davies was THIS close to me liking him and totally blew it!' (not as bad as the finale, but we'll get to that bridge when we cross it ;))

    The moral dilemma is so interesting! The situation, the circumstances, the way it reflects on the Doctor and that entire conversation is just so well-written and so absorbing....only to be DESTROYED by showing that the Slitheen bitch was evil all along and was planning on destroying the world because MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why face a moral dilemma when you can avoid it, eh, Davies -.-

    I thought the banter between The Doctor, Jack and Rose was really fun and sparkling and that scene with the Doctor eating dinner with an enemy ('Steak and chips') is one of my favourite Ecceltson moments....but this episode just utterly, UTTERLY misses the mark!

    Also, I don't think Rose IS that much better a person ;) This is where I start liking Mickey, though. As my friend put it, he's like a lesser Rory, but even being put in the same ballpark as Rory Williams makes you just totally fucking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I don't have a problem with Margaret having been evil all along. I never expected her to be totes good for realsies no matter how well the conversation was going. This is an episode of Doctor Who, after all, there had to be an actual conflict.

      The only thing that DID bother me is that when the climax came, it was resolved so quickly. I still like the way it was resolved (after I gave it some thought), but not so much how little time it took.

      Still, the moral dilemma stands, because the argument is not invalidated by Margaret being evil at all. She still dropped truth bombs all over the place, and so did the Doctor. In fact, if the TARDIS hadn't intervened, I feel it would've been another test for the Doctor. I mean, his assumptions were true! He was right about Margaret not having reformed, this is his proof, so... will he take her back to die--after saving Rose--because he was right? It would've been interesting to see.

      I agree that the dynamic between Rose, Jack, and the Doctor was great, and I REALLY enjoyed the scene in the cafe with Mickey, were they were just having an awesome time.

      I see similarities with Mickey and Rory, but no offense to Mickey, Rory is much more awesome than him. It's just a fact of life.

      As for Rose not being that much better a person, well... I think she is, but I can't say why until later. However, I think this episode is where she lets Mickey go. They're well and truly broken up, and I don't think I remember her calling him back for silliness after this pretty much ever again. So she at least doesn't lead him on anymore. They can be friends, and Mickey can finally try to carve out his own destiny without having to sit and wait for Rose to wake up and smell the hottie.

      Delete
  2. I liked Mickey a bit more this episode and I like that he told Rose off for ditching him and expecting him to wait while she goes off on adventures and hangs out with other men. Not fair to him (though he had the choice to go with her). Since they wanted different things, it was good that they ended things.

    HATE THE SLITHEEN. I kept thinking the whole episode, christ she's evil. Everything she did was evil. Evil smiles, evil eyes, who didn't expect her to be evil all along, she was oozing evil out her pores the whole episode while whining on and on about the death penalty being bad. While I might not agree with the death penalty, she deserved to be held accountable for her actions. She got off super light being able to start over.

    The dinner scene was awesome though with the Doctor constantly thwarting her attempts to kill him. It was a good episode but...can we be done with the farting aliens now? Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gonna answer your request, but then I thought: Spoilers! :-\

      Delete