April 7, 2012

It was long, all right…

 

Maybe I was supposed to expect that Adam would stay, and that the Doctor and Rose would become the Doctor, Adam, and Rose, but… Nope. Never did. Never wanted it.

(All pictures from Time Lord Caps, unless otherwise noted.)

Adam was just too… ack. Sometimes I wish English had words like Spanish does. I’ll get back to that.

As it turns out, I ended up being glad that the bulk of this episode was right back to Rose and the Doctor figuring things out for themselves.

They’re just… good at it… Y’know?

That said… I wasn’t overly impressed by this episode. Especially after the last episode. I mean, okay, maybe I needed a little lightheartedness so that I could process some shit, but still… I just wasn’t too invested in what was happening.

Oh, BUT. There were things I liked. First?

Simon Pegg. I may or may not have squealed when I recognized him ‘cause I absolutely love him for various reasons. I also liked his character. He was kind of like the Mayor, but not really.

Also a thing I liked? How the Doctor sort of coaches Rose at the beginning of the episode.

It was just cute.

And while Adam himself sucked, he did kind of bring up an issue that I didn’t think of before this episode.

The Doctor runs a risk with this system that he has, this Companion business. I mean, let’s face it: humans, we are a selfish, self-interested bunch for the most part. It wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility that someone would want to use the Doctor for selfish gain, and indeed, we see that here, with Adam.

(Source)

…Adam, you are a stupid douchecake.

And finally, a line we get from the Editor himself: “How can you walk through the world and not leave a single footprint?”

And it’s (sorta) easy to answer. He doesn’t want to leave a footprint. That is the absolute last thing he wants to do. It’s why he doesn’t do the “tidying up,” why he doesn’t stay in one place for too long. The Doctor’s not interested in putting down roots because he knows how painful it is when they’re torn up.

…And I can’t really blame him for that.

Right. Time for a list:

  • “He’s your boyfriend.” “Not anymore.” HEY, DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER MICKEY AT ALL?!
  • “The thing is, Adam, time travel is like visiting Paris. You can't just read the guide book. You've got to throw yourself in, eat the food, use the wrong verbs, get charged double and end up kissing complete strangers - or is that just me? Stop asking questions. Go and do it!” You keep giving me reasons to love you, Doctor.
  • “Look at me, I’m stupid!”
  • The Face of Boe is pregnant?! How would that even work??
  • There is an interesting parallel between Adam and Rose and their first trips in the TARDIS. Adam clearly fails the test. Big wanker.
  • If that’s where technology is going, I’ll be over here in the secluded cabin with my books and my 26 cats, thanks.
  • “Trouble?” “Oh, yeah.”
  • “All right—I’ll hug anyone!” <3 <3 <3
  • “It’s gonna take a better man than me to get between you two.” Well, yeah, if you’re gonna lie, asshole.
  • The Doctor is obviously a fan of the Socratic method.
  • “Rose, tell her to button it.”
  • Ew. No to the vomitomatic forever, thanks.
  • “You should go back downstairs.” “Tough.”
  • “Is a slave a slave if he doesn’t know he’s a slave?” “Yes.”
  • “You and your boyfriends!”
  • The whole end of this episode is just “hee!” (Source)

 

Next stop, Father’s Day!

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one ok but I was left with, well what was the point in bringing Adam along in the first place?

    Also, is it wise to leave such an unreliable, selfish douchenozzle to himself with that kind of new aged technology in his brain? I'd expect he'd try and promote himself or something but maybe he actually will smarten up and keep his mouth shut lest he want to be disected by the government.

    Also, the end scene where they mess with him and his head thing made me laugh. I wonder what his mom will do? Will she rat on him after running for the hills or will she keep it quiet too to keep him safe? I think to much. :-/

    Anyways, glad Adam is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Adam is useless in life. He seemed like maybe he'd be a good guy, but I stopped liking him in the same episode he was introduced in. Ugh.

      In my head, he got captured by sinister scientists who repeatedly shock him and prod at his head.

      Delete